In the Netherlands, you can take your bike on the train, but not during rush hour and only if you pay an extra ticket price. But if you have a folding bicycle, you can take it on any time and for free. When I commute on the train down to our office in The Hague, it's about a 45-minute train ride and then a tram ride, walk, or bike ride to the office ... 10 minute bike ride, and we have secure underground bike parking at the office.
I don't have a car ... I live in the middle of Amsterdam and it's insanely expensive to park here, and I don't need a car for the job ... but it's Amsterdam, so I have to have a bike. Got a cheap one when I first came here, now it looks like I'll be here for at least another year, so ....
Got a folding bicycle today at a shop down near our office in The Hague. Very helpful staff, found just what I was looking for after a little online research, a Dahon 7-speed internal hub folder ... weighs about 25 lbs., folds up to a little bigger than the wheels, little magnets hold it together folded, easy to transport. I'm hoping to take a lot of day-trips on the train this spring to see other cities in Holland that I haven't been to since moving here.
Here it is chained to the railing outside my building's front door (the black door on the right).
I don't have a car ... I live in the middle of Amsterdam and it's insanely expensive to park here, and I don't need a car for the job ... but it's Amsterdam, so I have to have a bike. Got a cheap one when I first came here, now it looks like I'll be here for at least another year, so ....
Got a folding bicycle today at a shop down near our office in The Hague. Very helpful staff, found just what I was looking for after a little online research, a Dahon 7-speed internal hub folder ... weighs about 25 lbs., folds up to a little bigger than the wheels, little magnets hold it together folded, easy to transport. I'm hoping to take a lot of day-trips on the train this spring to see other cities in Holland that I haven't been to since moving here.
Here it is chained to the railing outside my building's front door (the black door on the right).
No comments:
Post a Comment