Monday, May 31, 2010

Thanks to Stout!

I'd promised myself that I would grab some dinner at Stout! over on Harlemerstrasse on Friday, really like the menu and service there.  I got in just before 7 and was surprised to find the corner table in the front open, it has a great street view and great light.  The waitress working the front recognized me and waved me to the table ... am I already a regular?

I guess I am, because I realized right after ordering a glass of their current red Spanish that I'd left my wallet at home and had about 20 euros on me, which would be restricting my menu options at Stout! severely.  When the waitress came back to ask if I'd decided what to order, I told her I'd probably have to just pay for the wine and go home for my wallet.

She shook her head.  "Oh no you come in a lot, I know you'll be back, I'll just write up a check for your table, you can pay tomorrow."

A lot?  I think maybe that was my 5th or 6th visit in 3 years.

What a nice bunch!  So I had the mushroom soup and a half dozen local oysters in a red wine vinagrette ... I'm pretty picky about oysters but, those were fantastic.  It turned out the waitress who told me to just come back was going off shift before I finished, but I guess she communicated the arrangement, my new waitress knew the score and when I came back an hour after finishing with my money, the bald guy from the kitchen (who I assume is one of the owners) said "Hey I thought you were coming back tomorrow!"

"Nah, I don't like to leave those things hanging, I could forget."

Then I left my sunglasses on the counter after paying!  But before I could get on my bike to ride home, yet another waitress chased me down with my shades.

They have made me a regular with service like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive